Friday, November 7, 2008

Country First

"Country First" was John McCain's catch phrase, but his actions didn't match it. Barack Obama's message really was "Country First", and it needs to be how he runs his presidency. President-elect Obama and the rest of the Democratic Party need to take "County First" to heart when they govern if they want to be successful.

I hope the Democrats learn the lessons from 6-8 years ago when the Republicans held the Presidency and both houses of Congress like the Democrats are about to. The Republicans were drunk with power. Do you remember "You are either with me or with the terrorists" when anyone questioned just about anything George Bush did? How about Bush's "I have political capital and I intend to spend it" comment after his re-election? They were "Party First," and didn't care what anyone thought about it.

My own Congressman, Jason Altmire, is a great example of what a "Country First" and "Western Pennsylvania First" term in office can get you politically. It got him a comfortable win against Melissa Hart. She had nothing real to attack him on while she still had her "Party First" record from her time in office hanging around her neck. I hope he continues to represent our views and continue his "Country First" governance in his second and subsequent terms in office.

Governing "Country First" is kind of like something I learned from my father. When you focus on the customers and the people that work for you, your career can take care of itself. It is much easier having your customers and employees push you up the corporate ladder rather than you having to climb it yourself. I have found this to be true throughout my professional career.

If the Democrats take Barack Obama's "Country First" message to heart and focus on their customers, the American people, the country, the world and the Democratic Party will go a long way.

No comments: