Thursday, May 27, 2010

North Allegheny Revises Early Admission Policy

No. Allegheny revises early admission policy

I have an elementary school age child in the NA school district. My birthday and his are a day apart in November, but he started school one year older than I did. This was because of the change in age requirements between then and now.

Because I had a late birthday, the age difference between kids in my class and I continued through college. I was one of the last of my friends to be able to get a driver's license, and I was still 17 when I started college.

If you try and get your child into school early, remember that he or she will always be younger than the rest of their classmates. Are you doing it for the benefit of the child, or are you trying to get him or her out of the house a year sooner?

Schools and their expectations changed so much since I was his age. It seems to me that what was first grade when I was growing up is kindergarten now. Children need to be ready for the expectations emotionally.

Including social and emotional age is very important, and I am surprised it took so long. I also coach sports for my son and his friends. At their age, the difference socially and emotionally from one year to the next is huge.

No comments: