Saturday, May 22, 2010

Tom Corbett and Dan Onorato

I have mixed emotions about the Governor's race. I really liked Tom Corbett, and voted for him in the past. I met his wife at previous elections and she is a wonderful lady. I was excited when I thought he was going to run for Governor. However, it seems like in recent years he was attracted to the dark side of politics. Over the last several months:

  • His office ignored the intern that blew the whistle on Jane Orie. I guess if she were a Democrat, he would have handled the case himself.
  • Filed a politically motivated law suit against the health care bill.
  • Subpoenaed the twitter accounts of two people that criticized he and his office. He was eventually forced to withdraw the subpoena.

I consider these issues to be an abuse of his power as Attorney General for his personal benefit. What will he do as governor?

I have never been a huge fan of Dan Onorato as well:

  • His handling of property assessments have been awful. They need to be fair, and they are anything but. He has done all he could to stand in the way of correcting the issue.
  • I don't have a problem with the drink tax. However, when it was clear that the tax was generating significantly more revenue than was needed, he refused to cut it. Instead, he wanted to keep the excess for other purposes.
  • He often seems very abrasive, and his attitude is often "It's my way or else." County Council rarely got in his way. However, that attitude will not work with a State House and Senate that would tell him to get lost.

No comments: